MWC Classic 46mm Limited Edition XL Military Pilots Watch with Sapphire Crystal
SKU Code: CLIX/SH2
The MWC Classic aviator range comprises of several pilots watches each of which is based on a classic aviators watch design from WW2. These 1940s classics are ideal if you want a modern easily maintained automatic watch which has the style and appearance of a watch used by German Luftwaffe pilots from 1940-1945.
Two of the models have a traditional second hand within a subsidiary dial above 6 o'clock because this was a common feature in the 1940's the other models have a sweep secondhand which started to replace watches with subsidiary dials from around 1943 onward. These two varying designs options mean you can choose a model that suits your personal style preferences.
The extra large case size of 1.81" / 46mm (excluding the crown) in diameter makes this a very imposing timepiece which has considerable presence and tends to attract a lot of favourable comments, especially from other watch enthusiasts.
This model has a traditional automatic 22 jewel mechanical movement which is visible through the clear caseback and is engraved with MWC on the rotor.
- Movement: Self Winding 21,600 BPH automatic 22 Jewel
- Diameter: 46 mm excluding the crown
- Thickness: 15 mm
- Dial: Black dial with white numbers and subsidiary second hand
- Case Material: 316L stainless steel
- Screw Down Crown
- Water Resistance: 100m / 330ft
- Strap: 24mm High Quality Stitched Leather
- Crystal: Shatter and Scratch Resistant Sapphire with non reflective coating *
- Caseback: Clear Caseback providing a comprehensive view of the mechanical movement
Please Note: For interest value there are some pictures of the original WWII German Luftwaffe watches which inspired this range at this LINK
* A lot of people ask us what are the benefits of sapphire crystal over a standard mineral crystal? The answer is that synthetic sapphire is by far the best material for watch crystals because it is very strong and also shatter and scratch-resistant, these characteristics make it very appealing to military and security personnel, police officers and people who lead active outdoor lifestyles, these groups account for over 70% of our customers. To get things into perspective we find that when clients have accidents with watches resulting in a cracked crystal over 90% usually watches with mineral glass crystals, even factoring in that we use hardened mineral crystals they still do not come close to sapphire for durability under adverse conditions. The reason that sapphire crystals are so strong is that after the sapphire glass is manufactured it is also heat-treated to remove its internal stresses—which can cause weakness—it is then made into the watch crystals and two layers of anti-reflective coating are applied, interestingly sapphire crystal is now used on the latest iPhone. Of course, sapphire crystal comes at a price hence you find that it's normally only fitted to higher-end watches.